Hall Bookings – FAQ’s

How do I book?

Contact our Bookings Administrator.

The Administrator for all bookings for Public Halls and Sports Pitches can be contacted on


01993 702309

You can find them on the front desk in the Corn Exchange foyer during office hours

Office Opening Hours

Monday             8.30 – 5.00
Tuesday             8.30 – 5.00
Wednesday     9.30 – 5.00
Thursday           8.30 – 5.00
Friday                  8.30 – 4.30

On Wednesday mornings we have a regular staff meeting or training session.  The office is closed to visitors but you may leave a telephone message during this time.

What designates which category my event falls into?

We have three groups in our pricing structure:

Group 1: If you are a charity, a registered charity number will be requested at the time of booking. This group is also suitable for local organisations where proof of an OX28 postcode will be requested at the time of booking also.

Group 2: Non charitable events. This is usually for private events, such as parties and weddings and any other large occasion.

Group 3: Commercial and Sales. If you are a business holding an event or if you are charging a price for tickets or gain an income from the event to be held.

How much will it cost?

A guide to our charges can be seen on the Purple form on our  Schedule of Charges page.

Our Schedules of Charges

Why do I have to pay Public Liability Insurance?

As the hall is a publicly owned space and you are holding an event there, the Council has to be sure that in the event of an accident or incident that the hirer has insurance. If you are an organisation that already has this then a copy will be need to be provided to the Bookings Office at the time of booking and there is no extra charge. For the majority of private events, this will not be the case and it needs to be covered through the Council insurance which will incur a cost totalling 10.5 % of the hire charge.

Can I hire a Bar at the Public Halls?

There are no static bars in our halls. Hirers will need to hire a mobile bar at their own cost for an event. Details are available on request.

Do you allow outside catering?

Yes. The hirer or company will need to contact the Bookings Office in order to advise of this and arrange access to the building beforehand if it is possible.

Can I have use of the kitchen and what facilities are there?

There are cooking facilities at Burwell Hall but not at the Corn Exchange. We would ask that the kitchen is left in the same standard as it was found.

Can I have a bouncy castle or any other activity in the halls?

This will be at the discretion of Witney Town Council. In the case of Bouncy castles, dimensions and a risk assessment would be needed.

Is there Wi-Fi in the Halls?

There is Wi-Fi  in the Corn Exchange but currently no Wi-Fi in Burwell Hall.

When should I pay my deposit and balance?

Your deposit should be paid when you submit your booking form as this confirms your booking. Full payment should be received not less than 14 days before the event.

When can I get access to the hall?

Your booking time is when you can get access to the hall – early entry will not be available without prior agreement. Likewise, at the end of your event, the hall should be vacated by the end of your booking time – any additional time after the end of your booking will result in an additional cost being invoiced.

Will there be somebody there when I arrive and leave?

Yes, the caretaker will always try and be in attendance when you arrive for your event and if cannot be for any reason will have unlocked the hall ready for you. Likewise, they will try to be there at the end of your event to lock up – this is not the hirer’s responsibility.

How and when do I get my damage deposit back?

Deposits are usually returned by cheque within 2 weeks after your event providing there was no damage to the hall.

Official Site of Witney Town Council

Skip to content